Monday, September 23, 2013

The Power of the Priesthood

Hey Fam!

I am very happy to hear that you finally got my letters!  I hate that it takes so long.  Yeah, I have had a lot of rough times...turns out, everyone was right.  The mission is hard!  But hey, I am still alive and I made it through this crazy past week.  Mom, thank you so much for the quote from Elder Holland.  You always know what to say and give me the advice that I need to hear.
Where to start...well, last Thursday, we had just gotten back from eating lunch, like every other day.  Except this was different because for some reason we decided to leave our backpacks at our house instead of taking them with us.  We were packing up our things to hit the street when we got a call from a member and said that her daughter needed a blessing.  When Elder S told me, I just assumed she wasn't feeling well or something, so I wondered why we were almost running over to their house.  Why the rush?  But once we got to the house, I could sense something was definitely not right.  We walked in, and the older sister was sitting on the couch crying.  We asked where the other sister was and she pointed to the bedroom.  We walked in to find her having a seizure.  Her mom and two other people were trying to hold her down, all of them very scared.  She calmed down just long enough for us to give her the blessing, then she continued on with her on and off shaking for a couple minutes, but then she stopped.  She came to, and started feeling a lot better.  It made me so grateful for the power of the priesthood in our church, it is basically the biggest thing that separates us from the rest.  And it really is the power of God!
Yesterday, I was feeling very low.  I was so frustrated with the language, I missed home a lot and I felt almost like I couldn't do it.  This went on for the whole afternoon and into the evening, but then we decided to stop by a less active member's home.  They had gone to church so we wanted to ask how it went for them.  It was dark and we walked into their house to find that all they had to light up their house was a single candle.  This was a big reality check for me and a reminder that I have been given so many things in my life.  Back home, and even here.  I have been given so much, so I need to give something in return.  These two years are me paying my tithing for the past 20 (or 19) years of the incredible life I have lived.  I have a mom and dad who were married in the temple which has blessed me and my 3 brothers with the opportunity to live with each other for all eternity.  I have an incredible extended family on both sides who have loved and supported me in everything I have done.  I have to give something back to the Lord!  Even if at times I feel like I might die...;)

That is sweet to hear about the Utes, I wore my Utah shirt today!  And thank you so much for the package!  I was so happy to get all the things that were in it.  And the shorts were awesome.  I wore those today too.
I'm sorry I don't have much more time, but thanks again for the great advice and just all that you have done and continue to do for me.  I love and miss you all so much!  Talk to you next week!
Love, Elder Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment