Monday, October 14, 2013

A day in the life of a missionary...


HEYYYY!

I'd like to start this email by saying thank you so much for all of the love and support.  I have really felt your prayers this past week and it has been a much better and easier week for me!  I have always loved hearing stories about people from their missions and I have always wanted those cool stories and experiences for my self. But I had no idea what you have to go through to get those experiences or to be that amazing tool and instrument in the Lord's hands.  It is hard stuff! But yes, this week has been so much better thanks to all of you back home! 
Awhile ago you asked me to take you through what a day for me is like.  My days begin at 6 am.  I sometimes hit the snooze once or twice... but I try hard to get up on time haha.  Mom I want you to know that there has not been one day that has gone by that the first thing I do when I wake up is make my bed.  A teacher I had in the MTC said that his mom told him that if he wanted to change the world, a good place to start is by making his bed in the morning.  This reminded me so much of you! Haha he also challenged yo y mi distrito to make our beds every morning before we pray.  I am 100% on that! After I pray, I play some music and exercise.  Jants, You may be taller than me when I get home, but just know that I am staying in shape out here haha.  I'll always be able to take you! After that, I shower, make some breakfast, and then have personal study for about an hour.  Then we have companionship study for 2 hours. ALL in spanish.  Then I have language study for an hour.  Elder S and I have started reading the Book of Mormon together.  He reads it in English and I read it in Spanish.  Haha its pretty fun.  Then we go to Hermana Nancy`s house to eat lunch, which usually consists of some type of meat with a bunch of rice and tortillas.  I eat tortillas for every meal.  Then we go back to the house, get our stuff, and go out and work until 9pm.  It is very tiring and so I look forward to being able to sleep! When we get home, we make some dinner or sometimes we buy some pupusas on the way home, then we plan for the next day.  Pretty fun! 
I have found a new love for peanut butter out here.  You know on the Parent Trap how they eat Oreos with PB? Oh man, it is sooo good! That with a glass of milk... I love it!! Lindsay Lohan might be a freak now, but she knew what she was doing when she was 12 haha. Oh and I have learned that the real milk isn't that expensive, so I buy a half gallon every week. 
This past week was full of some cool experiences.  I taught 2 lessons in English this past week! One was a guy that was watching tv in his house that we knocked and he just started talking in English to me.  I was shocked at first and for a second, I forgot how to speak English haha.  But I managed to get some words out and gave him a run down of the first lesson.  That was the first time I have ever taught someone the Gospel in English.  It made me feel really good! The other guy we taught, I was with Elder N.  This guy had gotten into some bad things and was living in L.A.  He ended up being sent down here to get his life straightened out.  He was a cool guy, I hope I get to teach him some more. These English experiences made me pretty frustrated that I was sent to speak Spanish.  I feel like I could be such a better missionary if I was just speaking English because I know what is going on! But I also know that The Lord has a plan for me and for some reason, I need to speak Spanish.  It is hard now, but I think once I learn the language, I will be loving life.  Haha, just like everyone has told me.  It was funny to teach with ELder N. because he could not teach in English! He kept saying words in Spanish and I would have to correct him.  
ALright I gotta go, But thank you all again for just being my family! I love you all so much! I didn't get your letters last week so I think I will get them this week. I hope I get the Dear Elders because the advice that you guys give me helps me everyday when I read them.  
Love you all, Talk to you next week! 
Elder Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment